Monday, April 16, 2012

How come I can't get the exactly result to *pip install* by manually *python setup.py install*?

I like to figure out the myth behind Python's namespace packages by setuptools, and here is what I did test.




  • Make a virtual environment by virtualenv.

  • Find a namespaced package on PyPI.

  • Install that package by pip install.

  • Check the installed file hierarchy.



The package I played with is zope.interface and it worked well with the following file hierarchy on my virtualenv:



~virenv/.../site-packages/zope.interface-3.8.0-py2.6-nspkg.pth
/zope.interface-3.8.0-py2.6.egg-info/
/zope/
/interface/
/...


Everything looked fine and I love the way zope.interface got installed as a real namespaced package (under folder zope).



Then, I did another test and that's the question I would like to ask for your help. I downloaded the tared zope.interface source file. I liked to play it manually again




  • Make a virtual environment by virtualenv.

  • Untar the zope.interface into somewhere.

  • Install the package by python setup.py install.

  • Go check what happened in site-packages.



The site-packages looks like this:



~virenv/../site-packages/zope.interface-...egg/
/zope/
/__init__.py
/interface/
/EGG-INFO/


Q. How come I can't get the exactly result to pip install by manually python setup.py install?





No comments:

Post a Comment