Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Session stickiness on Amazon Web Services

I'm a bit confused about the use of the session stickiness on Amazon Web Services. When I deploy my java web application using Amazon Elastic Beanstalk, I can choose to enable the session stickiness and then specify a cookie expiration period.



My application uses cookies for the session (JSESSIONID) as well as for other small things. Most of the website is accessible only after logging in (I use Spring security to manage it). The website will run on up to 25 small EC2 instances.



Should I enable the session stickiness? If I don't enable it, does it mean that I could be suddendly logged out because the load balancer took me to another server (not the server that authenticated me)? Basically, why and when should I use session stickiness?



Thank you very much.





No comments:

Post a Comment